Each year, a number of staff members leave Maine 207 for a variety of reasons. In preparation for leaving, there are a number of important pieces of information related to one’s technological accounts:
- Staff members who are leaving do not have to do anything with their Maine 207 digital files, but if you would like to have a copy of files that do not include confidential student information, the steps below provide you with options for doing so. If you have questions, you are encouraged to visit your ChromeDepot, and they’ll be happy to help!
- Active Directory and G Suite accounts are disabled on June 30th annually (The accounts of those teaching Summer School are disabled after Summer School ends.)
- Special steps should be taken with Google Drive files that are owned by the outgoing staff member and shared with other staff members. Ideally, these files will be moved to a Team Drive, in which case the remaining team members will continue to have access to the file after the outgoing staff member’s account has been disabled. Alternatively, “ownership” of the files can be transferred to another individual who already has “edit” rights to that file in Google Drive in the Share Settings under the blue “Share” button in the upper-right corner of the browser. Please note that these changes must be made before the end of June when accounts are disabled.
- Work that is in your Google Drive and U: drive containing identifiable student data should not be removed or copied and should stay in the District.
- Outgoing staff members are welcome to copy other documents and take a copy with them.
Copying Google Drive files using Google Takeout
Google Takeout is a service from Google that allows one to take their data with them. While Google intends for it to make a comprehensive copy of all data, it typically does not work this way. In other words, using this method, it is common to have missing files. Additionally, as mentioned above, staff members should not be taking confidential student data with them, so that should be transferred to a Team Drive or another user prior to initiating the data export via Takeout. Google provides its own directions here. Once downloaded, the data can be stored elsewhere, ranging from another non-Maine 207 Google Drive, other online storage, in the Documents folder on a personal computer, or on some other kind of storage device like an external drive, including flashdrives.
Copying Google Drive files, Google Calendar, and Google Contacts individually
In order to have greater control over what you remove and to ensure that you have a working copy of those files, you can export your Google Calendar and export your Google Contacts separately and import them into another electronic calendar or contacts solution.
Additionally, individual Google Drive files can be exported in a variety of formats by opening that file and choosing the file type you prefer from the “File > Download as” menu option as pictured below.
Copying files from your U: drive via the web
Staff members can access their U: drives via the web, and from there, files and folders can also easily be downloaded to be copied for personal storage. As pictured, below, simply highlight the file or files or folder or folders that you want to download. Then, click the “Download” button.
To select multiple files or folders quickly…
- If there are all in a row within the list view, simply click on the first one to highlight it, hold down the “shift” key, and then, while holding down the “shift” key, click the last item in the list. All of the items should now be highlighted. Then, click the “Download” button to download these items.
- If there are select items that you want to choose spread throughout the list view, simply hold down the “control” key (Chrome OS, Windows) (“command” key on Mac OS) while you click each item that you would like highlighted. After you have finished selecting these items, click the “Download” button to download these items.